The different student rental formulas: which one to choose ?

Depending on your studies, your budget and your desire for independence, different types of accommodation are available to you: student residences with services, university residences, hostels, HLM housing, classic rental and shared accommodation. These different types of student accommodation, whether approved or not, sometimes have reserved access depending on the financial situation of the applicant.

Student residences with services

These types of housing have multiplied in recent years. Furnished and equipped, these homes can be more expensive than in the private rental stock, which is explained by the many services offered by the residences and included in the rent calculation. These residences can be subsidized, giving right to APL, or not subsidized, where the student can benefit from ALS.

Accommodation with or without agreement

The subsidized housing or subsidized apartments are dwellings whose owner has entered into an agreement with the State. This agreement conditions certain criteria linked to the rental (lease term, access to the property, etc.), and gives entitlement to APL. Non-contracted accommodation is accommodation for which the owner has not signed an agreement with the state, and is therefore not bound to respect these conditions. Although these accommodations do not qualify for APL, other CAF aid is available under means-tested (ALS).


The rooms and apartments are mainly reserved for students with modest incomes. Offering little accommodation in relation to demand, places are however scarce. These accommodations are the most budget friendly solution for students, all the while being close to universities. They are also eligible for housing assistance (APL or ALS).

Student Hostels

Managed by associations (most often religious), the homes offer single rooms or rooms for 2 to 3 people, for 380 to 540 € per month on average. The price varies according to the type of accommodation: full board, half board. Students staying in a hostel can benefit from APL.

Social housing managed by HLMs

Social housing is intended for people with modest incomes, who would find it difficult to find housing on the “free” market. Since 2009, the law has relaxed the rental conditions for HLM housing in order to develop an offer reserved for students and apprentices. Some accommodation is therefore made available to students, but this type of accommodation is rare, and often far from the places of study because it is on the outskirts of large cities.

Classic rental or rental in town

Private landlords offer a large number of accommodations, the rents and characteristics of which vary depending on the type of property, location, etc. A student can therefore go through platforms for connecting private landlord and student, or go through an agency property for agency fees (1 month's rent excluding charges on average).


Sharing a flat makes it possible to live in larger accommodation at a lower cost. As a solution which is highly favored by students, it allows more user-friendliness with the sharing of common areas. There is still a risk of sharing your space with roommates who do not meet your expectations. Many student residences, including those of the CROUS, now offer students the possibility of renting shared property.

  • %question% %answer%